Save the Girl Child
“Save the Girl Child” is a social initiative in India to fight against the practice of female foeticide. The initiative also aims are protecting, safeguarding, supporting, and educating the girl child.
Our present Prime Minister has requested every section of the society to give whole-hearted support to the “Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao“ abhiyan (initiative). ‘Beth Bachao’ means ‘save girl child’ and ‘Beth Padhao’ means ‘educate the girl child.’
Poor households, when faced with the choice, often choose to send their male children to school instead of their female children, instead saddling female children with back-breaking household chores.
Female foeticide is both a national problem and a social evil. It’s unbelievable that the urge for a boy-child makes them so cruel that they dare to kill the yet to be born. As such it is crucial to step in and save the female children.
Causes of female foeticide
Various scholars have suggested different possible causes for the problem of female foeticide.
1. Low position of women: Women have been subjected to injustice since ages. Some people feel that the birth of girl child may lower their status in the society. There is an extreme desire for boy-child among some sections of our society.
2. Extreme poverty: People who live in extreme poor condition often think that the girl child would cause more economic hardship to them. The social evil of dowry system further worsens the situation. Some people think that they will to have to arrange for huge dowry for her marriage.
3. Illiteracy: Illiteracy is the leading of all social evils. Illiterate people are ignorant people, and not able to judge their actions in the right perspective.
4. Dowry system: Dowry system refers to the custom of paying money and other valuables to the groom’s family at the time of marriage. This tradition was probably introduced to give financial assistance to the newly wed couple. However, often, it is seen that the greedy family members of the groom’s family demand huge amount of money at the time of marriage. Dowry is viewed as a huge burden by the parents of the girl-child. (Please note that dowry is prohibited by law in India. )
How to save girl child?
1. Women empowerment: The women need to be empowered. A woman has every right to give birth to a baby. The girl child is a blessing of God. Just give her a chance, and she will make you proud with her achievements.
2. Awareness: Every citizen of civilized society should be made aware of the fact that a girl child is as important as a boy child. If she gets the right opportunity, she can provide economic support to the family and help them to come out of poverty level.
3. Education: Education raises the consciousness of a person. The mental pattern in favor of society should be transformed. This is the time for historic changes in the society. (Also read about women education here.)
4. Love, respect, and equality: Girls, just like their counterparts, deserves true freedom and equality. All children, girls and boys equally, deserve to be treated with love and respect. When we truly treat someone with love, we respect their autonomy and help them to achieve the very best that they can.
How to save girl child after her birth?
The girl child is not only unsafe inside her mother’s womb. Even after her birth, she has to face various hardships because of gender inequality. We must save the girl child after her birth as well. There is something that all of us can do to help girls all over the world.
- We all agree that girls’ education is very important. The girls should get a safe and comfortable environment at schools.
- The girl should get equal access to the educational resources of the school.
- There should be separate toilets for girl-children at schools.
- There is need for a shift in mental attitude in favor of equality between boys and girls.
- The belief that only a male-child can support the parents during the old age doesn’t hold true in today’s context. A girl can take care and support her family as well.
- The family members of the girl child should come forward to protect her rights, both within and outside her home.
- We can reach out to girls in our community and help them with their needs.
- The physical abuse and harassment of girl child should be dealt strictly. The guilty should be punished as per the law.
- Dowry stem should be effectively discouraged through media campaigns. Emphasis should be made to impart moral education to put an end to this evil system.
- Doctors and other medical professions should be encouraged to behave responsibly. They should never indulge in any mal-practices such as prenatal sex determination.
- We can promote strong images of powerful, successful girls and women that will serve as role models and help to combat gender based cultural discrimination.
- We can also donate money to schemes that are designed to help girls, or volunteer with charitable organizations overseas.
The ‘save the child girl, educate the girl child’ initiative is actively supported by the Government, corporate groups, human rights activists and NGOS.
Under the initiative of ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’, several social organizations have come forward to build toilet at girl schools.
The corporate India, as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), is also earmarking funds for the welfare of school going girls.
Legal status of prenatal sex determination
According to the laws prevailing in India, the determination of prenatal sex during pregnancy is illegal and punishable by law.
It is unfortunate that people still misuse the ultrasonography (diagnostic sonography) scan to determine the sex of the unborn baby. There is a need for:
- Strict enforcement of laws relating to medical scanning.
- Impart moral teachings on doctors.
- Educate people that there is no difference between a girl and a boy child.
Save Girl Child is a phrase that ought to be very important to all of us. We still, sadly, live in a very unequal world where girls and women are discriminated against according to their gender. Girls are at greater risk of gender based violence, and also from gendered threats such as female foeticide, forced marriage, lower pay due to gender based discrimination, child pregnancy, lower education levels due to the undervaluing of female education, sexual harrassment and much more. As such, it is important to take care of girl children and to give them all of the opportunities that they need to succeed in life.
We belong to the modern generation of humanity. We seek an environment where every human-being is considered free. We seek an environment where every unborn child is welcomed without any gender bias.
Mahatma Gandhi gave the slogan of ‘do or die’ to his countrymen for the cause of their motherland. The unborn girl-child is also seeking similar spirit among the countrymen in support of her cause.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and Articles, Social Issues in IndiaTagged With: Social Issues in India
Female Foeticide Infanticide Essay Causes Impact & Prevenstion, Speech, Quotes, Slogan
Essay On Female Foeticide Infanticide
Female foeticide is a process of killing a female foetus in the womb. It happens in many parts of the world. Though some of the countries don’t allow sex determination before birth but some of the countries allow. In this regard a lot of people undergo sex determination before birth of the child and then eliminate the female foetus. The incident is painful as well as inhuman for the society. Mostly it happens in Asian countries, especially in India, Pakistan, Southern parts of the continent. The reason behind such inhuman activities is the old belief of some old people. Some of the old people and even some of the young generations want boy child in their family.
It was unfortunate that even in this modern era many of the people have this belief that malesare better than females. So investing in female child will be a bad deal. At many places we expect that the rural areas, where probably education and culture are yet to reach, people possess such beliefs. But unfortunately some of the prominent urban areas, educated people and even young people have such biased belief that having a boy child is more logical than a girl child.
There are some cases where women are forced to abort the foetus. The force comes from either husbands or from the in-laws as they want their daughter-in-law to give birth to a boy child. In other cases, some people get rid of the foetus because of the unwanted pregnancy. Women or couples who are not prepared to start their family now are keen to get eliminated their foetus.
Causes behind Female Foeticide
There are a bunch of reasons behind this inhuman and unfortunate incident of female foeticide. Though it is not always for the unwanted pregnancy but it is intentionally done because of the society that builds on silly beliefs.
- Female children are bad deals: A lot of people think that investing on female child, spending on their education and upbringing cannot be a profitable deal. It won’t be a worth as girls will get married and will be gone to other family.
- Male child will extend family: If you have a male child your family will extend by many generations. If you have girl child your daughter will be gone to other family and your family will be ended after one generation. This belief leads to many people to attempt female foeticide.
- Females don’t have social status males have:Women who are said to be carrying the name of the father before marriage and then of the husband after marriage have no social status. Sadly, even when women are achieving so many things in their lives, still people follow rules made by the society of carrying the names of the male guardian. In this regard a mass portion of the society still thinks that female child does not have any social status whereas a male child has.
- Illegal sex determination labs and hospitals:In south Asian countries, there are many illegal medical path labs and hospitals can be found where illegally sex determination takes place. Families that are craving for boy child spend their last penny to know whether it is a boy or a girl. Once they get to know that through illegal tests, they opt for abortion.
- Females are not secured: As the nation witnesses a lot of rape and women harassment, people often don’t wish to have female child for this reason. Though it is sort of hypothetical belief that some people possess, still it affects many parents who don’t want to have female child.
Impact on the Society
The impact on the society of female foeticide is immense today. Not only today but the society is witnessing so many bad effects since a long time. Of course there is no such positive impact on society of this incident. There are only negative impacts that affect the so-called society. One of the most important points is low rate of sex ratio. Along with it other impacts are sexual harassment, decrease in population, early age marriage and lot more such cases.
- Low sex ratio: In southern Asian countries the sex ratio is tremendously low in compare to other continents and developed countries. Frequently decreasing rate of female child brings the imbalance in the sex ratio.
Sex Ratio in some countries:
- Population declining:The overall population is declining over the period of time because of low rate of female child. According to the 2011 census there are only 933 women compared to 1000 males in India.
- Sexual harassment/Rape:In a recent survey it has shown that places where women are endangered species, the rate of rape has increased largely. Males are keen to be with girls and when they don’t get them easily, they attempt such anti-social behaviour.
Prevention Solution to the problem:
There are some sorts of prevention of solutions are there which can be attained to prevent this Female Foeticide in some countries, especially in the Asian countries.
- Public awareness programmes can be arranged to target young generation so that they can be more conscious about the fact that daughters are equally important in our society and family.
- Cancellation of the licence of such hospitals and doctors where cases like abortions take place will be another big solution to the problem.
- Also the licence of the path labs and companies that are involved in sex determination process and supplying such kits should be banned and cancelled.
- Punishments like jailed or high fines should be imposed on the people who undergo such process. Be it the parents or the family members, attempting such process shall be punishable act.
- Establish new laws and strict rules against the doctors, hospitals and people who will be involved in female foeticide.
The incident of female foeticide is something that needs to be stopped immediately. There are a cluster of laws and rules against it but it is more important to be aware of them. To prevent the sex ratio imbalance one needs to be more cautious before attempting such crime. Sex detection and killing the foetus should be punishable act in every country and for everyone no matter who the person is. One must not forget that a female child is equally important in a family and society as a male child is.
Speech On Female Foeticide Infanticide
Though we are living in a modern era, the era when high technology is over powering our lives, still a large part of our society is still living with some old and weird beliefs. When we talk about an incident of foeticide the first thing comes on our mind is, it has to be female child. Yes, we still live in such society where females are unwanted. Even when we see females are achieving so many things.
The incident of female foeticide is not a new concept. It happens because of the belief that male child carries the family to the next generation, females don’t. On the basis of such weak mentality and society generated belief we continuously kill a life even before her birth.
Unfortunately, it is the woman who attempts such sin. Either it is the mother of the foetus or the mother-in-law of the mother, the crime is often done by the women only. It is sad but true that women are the biggest enemy of another woman.
Now it is inevitable that when you don’t get access to something you will go crazy after it. Some of the places where women become endangered species have more chances of rape than other places. The reason is obvious. Males who are in need of women but don’t get them often attempt such crime without knowing the consequences. Even in some states due to low rate of women population, parents opt for early marriage of their daughters, sometimes before adulthood they force their daughters to get married.
People, especially the young generation should be aware of the fact that women are equally important in our society and sometimes more than a male because a male can never be able to give birth a child that a woman can.
Quotes & Slogan On Female Foeticide Infanticide
Every man in our society needs a mother, a wife, a sister then why don’t they need a daughter?
You need a woman in your life, as your mother or as your sister and as your wife, because you can’t marry your brother. Isn’t it?
You want a woman to carry your son’s child in her womb, then why don’t you want to carry your daughter in your womb?
Daughters are the angels sent by the God, they cry, they blabber, at the end of the day they adore the most.
Don’t try to end their lives even before it starts.
Don’t hate the daughters, females are proved to be more intelligent than males. You never know when your daughter makes you proud.
Be your daughters’ friend not the foe. They are angels, don’t let them go.
If you think a man is a hero, then killing your daughter makes you a zero.
Don’t be cold daughters are pure gold.